Having been rescued via a crowdfunder appeal supported by Artmag, Mackintosh at the Willow is to re-open on 16th September. Since being saved from closure four years ago, Mackintosh at the Willow has operated as a not-for-profit social enterprise, creating training, learning, employment and other opportunities and support for young people, working in partnership with The Prince’s Trust, providing employment and education activities and, in addition to the historic tearooms themselves, offering meeting and events spaces, a creative learning and education department, an exhibition space and shop.
Originally opened in 1903, the original Willow Tearooms building at 215-217 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, has undergone extensive restoration in recent years, returning it to its former grandeur as the last surviving example the Tea Room designs of celebrated Glasgow artist, architect and interior designer Charles Rennie Mackintosh, and one of his greatest achievements.
Image: Interior, Mackintosh at the Willow: Gallery Tables. Rachel Keenan Photography