Ingleby Gallery | Callum Innes: Byzantine Blue, Delft Blue

Website:
Visit website

Callum Innes: Byzantine Blue, Delft Blue, Paris Blue at Ingleby Gallery is the inaugural exhibition in its new home, an 1834 building on Barony Street which was formerly the Meeting House of Edinburgh’s Glasite Church. Fittingly, the exhibition also marks the gallery’s 20th anniversary, Callum Innes having featured in its very first show in 1998. Founded by Florence and Richard Ingleby, the gallery initially operated from a Georgian townhouse before moving to a former warehouse space on Calton Road in 2008.

For eight years the three-storey building near Waverley Station hosted an ambitious programme of exhibitions (many of which went on to tour other UK venues, becoming the UK’s largest private contemporary art gallery outside London. Florence Ingleby said: “We are fortunate to work with world class artists at many different stages of their careers. The former Glasite  Meeting House is an extraordinary building that has lain empty for a generation. It offers an exceptional location from which to develop the next chapter of the gallery’s history.”

The current exhibition comprises a new series of Innes’ large scale ‘exposed paintings’, often described as his signature works, in which he explores the subtle interplay of addition and subtraction by layering and removing pigment on the canvas, the controlled hand of the artist being balanced by the potential chaos of chance in a new form of abstraction.

Share this page

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on email