The Corinthian Club, just a stone’s throw from Glasgow’s George Square, is a truly magnificent 18th century mansion, which changed in usage from the original private merchant’s house to the headquarters of the Ship Bank and then became a Justiciary Court. In 1999, it was refurbished to show off its classic architecture and opened as the Corinthian bar and restaurant.
After a multi million pound renovation, this landmark building has been transformed into a fabulous five floor venue. On the ground floor, Tellers Bar and Brasserie (seating 150), is a Grand Hall, dominated by Doric pillars, ornate ceiling, cornicing and chandeliers, now given a 21st century facelift by Graven Images with smart and sassy décor and design.
Diners sit either in intimate, old fashioned railway carriage-style booths, or larger round tables for groups of friends. The cuisine on the great value menu is modern Scottish, celebrating seafood (Hebridean oysters, Oban scallops, salmon, lobster), prime steak, lamb, burgers, pasta. With its perfect city centre location – and open all day – whether browsing art galleries, shopping around Merchant City/Buchanan Street, a pre-theatre supper or late night drinks, The Corinthian Club is a cool and classy place. [- VD]
The Corinthian Club, 191 Ingram Street, G1 1DA. 0141 552 1101.